Crystal meth is a highly addictive, stimulant drug. This explains its prevalent use despite the obvious visual ravages to face and body that methamphetamine causes. Methamphetamines are used by all ages. Users experience long-lasting euphoria but take nightmarish risks to mental and physical health.
Crystal meth addiction can be successfully treated in substance abuse treatment centers. Recovery is possible.
What is crystal meth?
Methamphetamine is a very addictive synthetic stimulant drug that is the chemical n-methyl-1-phenyl-propane-2-amine. In crystallized form, it is called crystal meth.
It is taken intravenously, snorted, smoked or taken in suppository form. Although “meth” is available in prescription form for conditions such as ADHD, it is also a Schedule 2 drug that is manufactured and sold illegally.
Meth is often cooked up in makeshift labs using pseudoephedrine, a decongestant. This decongestant is combined in recipes with a number of other ingredients such as gasoline, antifreeze, battery acid and drain cleaner. It also is associated with drug cartels and is widely available.
People take meth to experience:
- A high, or euphoria, that may last up to 12 hours
- High energy and alertness
- Raised libido
- Excessive sweating
- Constriction of the artery wall
Users may not even have to wait for withdrawal to experience these unpleasant side effects. Cravings start the whole thing over again.
Rapid weight loss occurs during first stages of meth use and then usually levels off.
Health risks of crystal meth use:
- “Meth mouth”— including rotting teeth and lack of saliva
- Heart and circulatory problems such as stroke and arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat, a dangerous condition)
- Psychosis which can be temporary or long-term
- Sensation of bugs crawling over body and face with resultant scratching which causes sores
- Body temperature elevation to dangerous levels
- Muscle breakdown
- New mothers who take meth secrete the drug in breast milk
Common names for crystal meth include:
- Super ice
- Crystal meth
- Crystal glass
- Stove top
- Bikers coffee