Chief Clinical Officer at Origins Behavioral Healthcare
Areas of Expertise
Addiction, Health Science, Mental Health, Marriage and Family Therapy, Spirituality, Ethics, Conflict Management
Dr. Dyben has 25 years of multifaceted leadership experience in behavioral healthcare, including substance use and mental health disorders. Throughout his career, John has held roles such as pastor, counselor, clinical manager, teacher, and respected expert.
For the last 19 years, John has held several leadership positions at Origins Behavioral Healthcare. Today as Chief Clinical Officer, he provides clinical leadership to all of the Origins mental health and addiction treatment programs. He aims to foster superior patient care and clinical protocols to ensure these programs meet strategic goals and contribute to the Origins clinical recruitment strategy.
John continually builds upon his academic expertise through research and nationwide speaking engagements on addiction, spirituality, and related topics.
When he’s not working, John enjoys piloting small private planes and spending time in nature with his family. His favorite activities include hiking, camping, writing, and learning about emerging physics, biology, and anthropology technologies.
Videos of Dr. Dyben
- Young Adults and Substance Use Disorders
- Stigma Reduction
- The Role of Family in Recovery
- Substance Use Disorder in Older Adults
- A Practical Overview of the Neurobiology of Addiction
- A Clinical Exploration of Spirituality in Recovery
- Anthony Weiner: Is Sexting a Real Addiction?
- Narcan Over the Counter
- Oxycontin No Longer Marketing to Doctors
- Risk Associated with Powerful Sleep Aids
- Adolescent Outpatient Program at Hanley Center
- The Independence Program for Older Adults
- Integrity, Humility & Dignity
- 2016 SUD Talks
- Does Addiction Treatment Work?
- Addiction as a Disease
Articles by Dr. Dyben
- Origins Success Rates
- Admissions Patient Rights & Confidentiality
- Baby Boomers Addiction: 12 Step Recovery
- Behavioral Compulsivity
- Breaking The Camels Back: Understanding The Relationship Between THC And Psychosis
- Cheech Wrong; the Legends and Myths of Pot Use in Young Adults
- Comorbidity In Older Adults
- Intimacy In Counseling
- Letting Go
- Measurements And Meaning Advancing MBC And Research In Behavioral Healthcare
- Navigating Holidays: Son or Daughter and Early Recovery
- Origins Retrospective: Study Reveals Successful Treatment / Outcomes
- Physical Activity and Depression in Older Adults
- Professional Burnout
- Quandary In A Conundrum: Addiction And ADHD
- Revolving Door Addiction Treatment Response: William White
- Saturday Spotlight Series Dr Dyben
- Selling Oranges
- Spiritual Care Is A Coin With Many Sides
- Spiritual Care
- The Empty Pickle Barrel
- What Is A Residential Treatment Center: 5 Things To Know
- What Is Spirituality?
- What We Believe About Addiction Matters
- The Stigma of Addiction
- Addiction Today Radio: Failure to Launch
- Addiction Today Radio: How Psychostimulants Are Gaining Popularity With Young People & Their Risks
- Addiction Today Radio: What We Believe About Addiction Matters
- Addiction Today Radio: Medication Assisted Treatment
- Addiction Today Radio: Addiction is a Public Health Issue
- Addiction Today Radio: Navigating the Holidays
- Addiction Today Radio: Culture of Addiction and Pathways to Recovery
- Certified Master Level Addictions Professional (MCAP 10057)
- Certified Mental Health Professional (CMHP 50016)
- International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (ICRC)
- Internationally Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ICADC 24911)
- Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC 16433), Texas Health & Human Service Commission
- Certified Clinical Supervisor (CCS 24), Texas Health & Human Service Commission
- Doctor of Health Science, Nova Southeastern University
- MS, Management, Liberty University
- MA, Conflict Management, Trinity Theologial Seminary
- Certificate in Nutritional Psychology, John F. Kennedy University
- MA Candidate, Marriage and Family Therapy, National University
- D. Candidate, Psychology, Northcentral University
- Dyben, J. (2018), Intimacy in counseling. Counselor, 19(5), 11-13.
- Dyben, J. (2018), Running on fumes: Psychostimulant use disorder in young adults. Social Work Today, 18(4), 24-27.
- Dyben, J. (2018), The perfect storm: Aging, drugs, and chronic pain. Today’s Geriatric Medicine, 11(2), 18-21.
- Dyben, J. (2016), What we believe about addiction matters. The Sober World, 5(2), 14, 36.
- Contributed essay “When Angels Miss” to Geidman, D. (2011). This, I believe: On fatherhood. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. Also produced by NPR for The Bob Edwards Show.
- Contributed poem “The Beard” to Andrew, S., Lyme, A., Powell, D. (2008). Men’s Healing: A Toolbox for Life. Hanley Hope Publishing
- Dyben, J. (May 8, 2018), Baby boomer women caught in rising tide of alcohol. Aging Today.
- Dyben, J. (2018), Didn’t we almost have it all: College students crashing on psychostimulants. Recovery Campus.
- Dyben, J. (June 1, 2018). How Do You Manage Taking Prescription Medications While in Recovery? Partnership for Drug Free Kids.
- Dyben, J. (November 8, 2017). Navigating the Holidays When Your Child Is in Early Recovery from Addiction. Partnership for Drug Free Kids.
- Dyben, J. (July 5, 2011). What do you want, really? Together.
- Dyben, J., Harris, J. (December 14, 2011). Sex, drugs, & rehab.
Conference Appearances and Other Speaking Engagements
- “Nutritional Psychology in Behavioral Healthcare”
- September 2021, Cape Cod Symposium on Addictive Disorders
- September 2021, West Coast Symposium on Addictive Disorders
- “Running on Fumes: Young Adults and Psychostimulant Use Disorder”
- November 14, 2018, National Cocaine, Meth & Stimulant Summit
- August 15, 2018, Florida Behavioral Health Conference
- “Foundational Ethics in Healthcare”
- November 13, 2018, National Cocaine, Meth & Stimulant Summit
- August 4, 2017, Florida Medical Association
- “Chronic Pain and Addiction: Successful Treatment in an Aging Population”
- August 13, 2018, Florida Conference on Aging
- July 30, 2018, NCFADS, University of North Carolina
- “Getting Past Go: Treating Addiction and ‘Failure to Launch’”
- July 31, 2018, NCFADS, University of North Carolina
- August 16, 2017, Florida Behavioral Health Conference
- “Substance Use Disorders and Related Comorbidities in Older Adults”
- July 16, 2018, CORE Conference
- May 13, 2016, Annual Conference, EAPA, Nova Southeastern University
- “PTSD, Suicide Awareness and Crisis Intervention for First Responders”
- November 6, 2017, Palm Beach County Fire Rescue
- October 24, 2017, Hollywood Fire Rescue
- “Addiction Epidemiology: Addiction as A Public Health Issue”
- October 6, 2017, Florida Medical Association
- June 15, 2017, Georgia Certification Board
- “Ethically Addressing Spirituality in Clinical Counseling”
- August 5, 2017, Southeastern Institute on Chemical Dependency
- January 28, 2016, New York Center For Living
- “Aging and Addiction: Igniting the Spirituality of Recovery”
- March 22, 2016, American Society on Aging conference
- “No Such Thing as a Discount Human Being”
- February 11, 2016, “2016 SUD Talks” http://www.sudtalks.org/2016-sudtalksvideos/
- “The Complexities of Substance Abuse and Addiction in Cancer Patients”
- January 4, 2016, MD Anderson Hospital, Oncology Department
- “Maladaptive Family Systems and Adult Children of Alcoholics”
- March 7, 2014, South Florida Mental Health Providers
- “Crisis Intervention for Counseling Professionals”
- February 25, 2014, Baptist Health Systems, Little Rock, AK
- “Gender- and Age-Specific Issues in Addiction and Mental Health Treatment”
- June 1, 2011, NASW Conference, Fordham University
- May 18, 2011, University of North Carolina
- “Cultural Competency for Counseling Professionals”
- September 10, 2010, Cape Cod Symposium on Addictive Disorders
- “Before the Transition — Behavioral Health and Substance Abuse Issues”
- December 3, 2009, Nursing Home Transition Conference
- “Examining Personality Disorders in Addiction”
- January 14, 2009, Training Institute on Behavioral Health and Addiction
- June 20, 2008, Skyland Trail
- “Understanding Domestic Violence: Practical Application to Clinical
- December 5, 2008, Skyland Trail
- “Man’s Spiritual Journey: Exploring Spirituality in A Modern Age”
- April 23, 2007, “A Healthy Spirit: Healing
- A Clinical Exploration of Spirituality in Recovery, Hanley Foundation, 2022
- Addiction Prescription, Fort Meyers Florida Weekly, 2021
- Texans Are Concerned the Bad Economy Due to COVID-19 Will Increase Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Valley Central, 2020
- Peter’s United Methodist Church, Wellington, FL
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Inductee of Delta Kappa International Marriage and Family Therapy Honor Society